Thursday, October 29, 2009

VOG and other air-born enemies....

Vog on Hawaii's Big Island Leads to Disaster Declaration - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

In Hawaii, there is a weather element that pretty unusual. It's called VOG. Wikipedia puts in this way,


Vog is a form of air pollution that results when sulfur dioxide and other gases and particles emitted by an erupting volcano react with oxygen and moisture in the presence of sunlight. The word is a portmanteau of the words "volcanic" and "smog". The term is in common use in the Hawaiian islands, where the Kīlauea volcano, on the island of Hawaiʻi, has been erupting continuously since 1983. Based on June 2008 measurements, Kīlauea emits 2,000 - 4,000 tons of sulfur dioxide every day.
What this means around here is a day of gloomy haze, runny noses, and headaches. Not very pleasant. (Did I mention I'm allergic to sulfur dioxide?) It wouldn't be a problem, except when the wind dies. Our natual trade winds normally blow the other direction, keeping the VOG heading out into the Pacific.


It got me thinking... There's a metaphore in here somewhere. And if you know me, you know I must find it! It is the "trade winds" of the Holy Spirit that keep the spiritual VOG out of my life. I Thessalonians 5:19 tells me, "Do not stifle the Holy Spirit." I know that when I do, the sky gets gray, the air is still, and I find it hard to function... The Holy Spirit in my life pushes the pollutants out to sea and away from my atmosphere.

I don't know who coined the term VOG, but I could name some other combinations. How about "bitterness" and "smog" - BOG. Or try "hatred" and "smog" - HOG. Maybe "doubt" and "smog" - DOG. What about "lies (of the enemy)" and "smog" - LOG...

Whatever it is, I'm praying for the trades to return, and for the junk to go. I may not be able to control the VOG, but I can control if I stifle the Holy Spirit.



Then we can get back to...enjoying the view! *;)




Posted using ShareThis

No comments:

Post a Comment