Thursday, October 22, 2009

Me, Mr. Magoo, and Francis Chan

When it comes to my spiritual journey, I must say that more often than not, it looks like a Mr Magoo cartoon.  I seem to wander along fairly clueless about what lay before me.  It would be amazing to see how many near-misses I encounter every day.  The Lord just leads me on and somehow, by His grace, I continue on in one piece.  And yet, isn't that sort of what child-like faith is all about?
Case in point.  My Life Journal has me reading in the book of Acts.  Every time I read through this book, I have the same emotion.  Why does my life, my Christian experience, look so much different than the first century disciples.  I'm not trying to compare my life the the big guys like Paul or Peter...I'm just taking about the nameless "disciples."  The Holy Spirit's prominence in their lives is so evident.  Acts always leaves me wanting more in my life.  There has got to be something I'm missing.

Just yesterday, I was playing that same old lament in my mind when I "stumbled" across an audio book on iTunes.  It was Francis Chan's new book called, Forgotten God: Reversing Our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit.  Wow.  I loved Chan's book, Crazy Love, and didn't even know he had another one out.  I immediately snatched it up (complete, unabridged, read by the author ~ $4.85)! Another source for the audio book of Forgotten God .
God is so good to me.  He never fails to give me just what I need, exactly when I need it.  It has been this way for years.  God places a book or other resource in my hand, just like a spoon-fed baby.  He knows how much I love books.  I am so grateful for His care and attention.

This is going to be an exciting read.  In the Introduction, Francis already sounds like a kindred spirit,


Grab a copy and read along with me.   I'd love to hear what you think of it.  Perhaps we may "stumble" onto something that moves us further down this Kingdom road...

No comments:

Post a Comment