Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Best Things in Life are Free

Woke up this morning to the most beautiful day! Not a cloud in the sky and the air was cool and crisp.



Mark had that look in his eyes that he gets when he's planning something fun.  I followed him outside to find him with tools in hand, like this....




With some left over wood and casters he found while cleaning out his parent's garage....a go cart was born.

Let me stop here and say that Mark has a way of making everything fun.  I would never have thought of this.  Maybe it's because I grew up in a house of three girls, with me being the youngest.  For what ever reason (I shall not blame my parents...) I was a very timid (read fearful) child.  Going down the hill in a makeshift sled was not something I did.  I would be the kid watching by the side of the road, crying just in case someone got hurt.  Mark has done more to balance me and bring me out of my shell than I can tell you.  All of my adventures have been at the encouragement of my loving hubby.  Just another of the many of reasons that I love this man.  It's a good thing I met him early in my life.  Even with Mark's encouragement, this tendency still comes out now and then, and especially when it comes to my kids.

To continue, Mark is definitely passing on the adventurous spirit to our kids.  Andrew was still asleep when Mark built the cart, but you should have seen his face when he saw it.  You'd think it was Christmas. 
What fun.


Another great, free activity we did with the family was a walk/hike to Ho'omaluhia, the botanical garden behind our house.  That sounds rather sedate....until I tell you that Mark "okay-ed" the kids to bring their skateboards.  It's a very hilly place, and with the gates closed to car traffic, we set off. 



Along with us was a friend named, Moana (green shirt, dark hair).


We set out about 5:30, so we knew we had to hurry before it got too dark. 


Finally, we jumped the back gate and let ourselves into the park (not illegal). 

Rachael  and  Rebecca


Steph was taking pictures!  She is well
known for her aversion to shoes. 
She brought slippers (flip flops) but they broke not 50 yards from our house....


And they're off......





Yes, the best things in life are free.  Fun time with the family.  And, yes, I did go down the hill with Mark.  We took a video, but it is too dark to see.  You can hear me screaming, though...


1 comment:

  1. So fun! Apart from some cool camping trips when Lisa and I were young, I don't remember this kind of fun in our family. Mom and Dad really did have some serious risk aversion - that I carry with me, too. I've never even gotten the hang of being what I call a Playdough Mom. You do that very well, Karelin! Your kids have an awesome life!

    (And I tell them that, too - I am their loudmouthed Auntie on Facebook! Hee hee hee!)

    ReplyDelete