Recounting my many blessings is not as easy as I thought it would be. I'm trying to find the things that are beneath the surface, the things that may go unnoticed if I didn't stop to ponder them. I got a bit behind and had to catch up this week. But, like all new habits, with a bit of focus I know it will get easier with time. After all, that's why I'm starting this journey. I know gratitude is something that needs to be cultivated in me. I'm no farmer, but I know that to cultivate, you first must break the hard ground. That's where I am in this new gratitude mindset; breaking fallow ground. Ouch.
I found that once I get going, more things come to mind. Once I "put on" an attitude of gratitude, the list began to write itself. So here are this weeks entries:
11. divine help in fixing the garbage disposal
12. health insurance to cover Mark's injured leg
13. a wonderful step-mom
14. the sound of Mark and Andrew building a Christmas toy
15. the quiet wisdom of Mark as the father of his daughters
16. my faithful Craigslist treadmill
17. Facebook friends who make me laugh
18. hearing my son read well
19. Salt-dough maps of the Holy Land
20. the feeling of a clean kitchen floor
21. unexpected blessing of a women's conference
22. a great family of in-laws
23. youth leaders who love my teens
24. chocolate chips
25. the view of the Koolau Mountains out my window
26. friends next door for my kids
27. home-made yogurt (with chocolate chips)
28. a craft project to work on
29. my son's voice, singing in the shower
30. folded laundry - folded by Mark
Today, I read in Genesis about Jacob's dream at Bethel. I love his realization that, "Surely the LORD is in this place, and I wasn't even aware of it." Jacob was so impressed by this event that he raised a memorial stone there and worshiped.
O LORD, You are always present and so often I am unaware. Open the eyes of my heart that I may see Your hand in my life. May my 1000 Gifts list become a memorial pillar to the many evidences of Your presence, and may I remember to worship You there. Amen.