Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Life happens!




Blue and I took a nice walk out to the back yard this afternoon.  Those tomatoes, lettuces and beans are growing like crazy.  Even in "autumn", our growing season just goes on.  One of the great things about Hawaii.  We can plant just about anytime. 

Now that they are growing, I have to learn the best way to harvest them...   I think my tomato plants are a bit crowded, but I don't have the heart to pull any more out.
I hate thinning growing seedlings!
















Not only are the veggies growing, I looked up into my banana trees and found that I have two stalks of bananas coming.  These are trees that I basically ignore for months.  Then, low and behold, they put out a bloom and fruit.  Delightful!


In John chapter 15:1-4, Jesus says,
“I am the true grapevine, and my Father is the gardener.  He cuts off every branch of mine that doesn’t produce fruit, and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more.  You have already been pruned and purified by the message I have given you.  Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me."

I have a lot to learn about being a gardener.  I don't like to prune because I feel sorry for the plant...even though it hurts the plant in the long run.  Spiritually, I'd much rather be a branch in my Father's garden.  I'll accept His pruning, just let me remain in Him!



Thundershowers are forecast for the next two days, so I'll enjoy the sunshine while it lasts.  There's even a "winter advisory" out for the Big Island.  Yes, we do get snow!  Just on the summits of Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa. 




1 comment:

  1. I'm with ya, seestah. I just planted spinach yesterday. First of all, I'm impatient that they haven't popped up yet. Second, I'll be doing a little pruning and thinning of my own - I planted a BUNCH of seeds. They said to thin them to one plant every 6 inches. I'm gonna have LOTS more than that. The nice thing is with spinach, you can EAT the thinnings. Salad garnish. ;-) That's the only reason I'll be able to do it. It's just an early harvest.

    Good luck with your garden. And God bless his pruning of us! May we bring forth fruit!

    ReplyDelete