Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Psalm 23

I've been working on memorizing Psalm 23.  Not the old, King James Version, but the New Living Translation.  I wanted something that would not be mindlessly rambled, but that would take an engaged mind, and heart in the saying.

1 The Lord is my shepherd;

I have all that I need.

2 He lets me rest in green meadows;

he leads me beside peaceful streams.

3 He renews my strength.

He guides me along right paths,

bringing honor to his name.

4 Even when I walk

through the darkest valley,

I will not be afraid,

for you are close beside me.

Your rod and your staff

protect and comfort me.

5 You prepare a feast for me

in the presence of my enemies.

You honor me by anointing my head with oil.

My cup overflows with blessings.

6 Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me

all the days of my life,

and I will live in the house of the Lord

forever.
 
As I daily work on my verses, I realize how many preconceived ideas I have about this familiar passage.  It is often read at funerals...  I had relegated it to a portion of scripture that was only for enduring the bad times.  The "valley of the shadow" times of life.  But the more I meditate on it, the more I'm convinced that this is a psalm for daily use, and is actually recommended for noon prayer when "praying the hours." 
 
Daily the Lord is my shepherd.  Daily He leads me in peace, by the power of His Spirit.  He cares for me daily - during peaceful times and when I walk through the hard times.  He wines and dines me in the face of my enemies.  He lavishly pours out His Spirit on me, enabling me to bring Him honor.  He daily pursues me with goodness and unfailing love.  That's what it's like when you live in the house of the Lord ~ forever!
 
This simple, familiar psalm that I once pushed aside as being trite (Lord, forgive me) is fast becoming my daily bread.  When I stop what I'm doing at noon to breathe its words, my perspective changes and peace washes over my soul.  I am reminded that being in the flock of Jesus is all I need.  He is the Good Shepherd, and being His sheep is bliss!
 
 
Read what others are saying about walking with the Shepherd here:

center>holy experience



No comments:

Post a Comment