Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I needed a pacesetter

This morning I took a run along a beautiful beach-side road.  It was a gorgeous morning.  The sun was shining, a gentle breeze was blowing, and I was so glad to be outside.  I love to run while listening to my ipod.  Music really helps me keep my mind off the pain...  Unfortunately, I didn't have it today.  I found myself distracted by the sound of my own feet.  (I kept looking behind me to see who was following me - blond moments...)  I didn't have the music to make the miles go by a bit faster.  I found myself reaching the end of my energy before the end of my route back to the car.  I kept stopping to walk.  I had just reached my turn-around point when another runner glided by me.  She was about my age, very tall and slender, and was keeping a steady, manageable pace.  I decided to match her, step by step, to see if I could keep up.  I glued my eyes to her feet and fell in about 50 feet behind her.  Wow!  What a difference it made.  The pace was just perfect for me.  The ground that had taken me over 5 minutes to cover only took me 4 when I kept in step with her.  Then I felt the nudge of the Holy Spirit speaking to me.  "That's how I want you to be with Me."  He longs to set the pace if I'll just fall in step behind Him.

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion?
Come to me.
Get away with me and you'll recover your life.
I'll show you how to take a real rest.
Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it.
Learn the unforced rhythms of grace.
I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you.
Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

- Jesus, Mt. 11:28-29, The Message



Yes, Lord,  I hear.  Thanks for reminding me.

No comments:

Post a Comment